- Anterolateral THR avoid:
- Hip external rotation
- Hip adduction
- Hip extension
- Posterolateral THR avoid:
- Flexion >60-90 degrees; “knee above hip”
- Internal rotation of leg
- Adduction of leg
- Avoid excess trunk flexion
- No Bending forward farther than 90 degrees hip flex
- No Twisting of the spine
- No Lifting greater than 5-10lbs (weight restriction is dependent on MD and procedure/ injury)
Sternal/ Cardiac Precautions
- Do not push or pull with your arms.
- Hug a pillow or teddy bear when getting in/out of bed or up/down from a chair.
- Do not raise your elbows higher than your shoulders.
- Brace your chest when coughing or sneezing. Huff instead of coughing if you can.
- No lifting objects greater than 5 to 10 pounds or as instructed by your doctor.
- Do not reach to the side or back.
- Avoid twisting or deep bending.
- Do not hold your breath during activity; counting out loud or talking will help.
- Ask clearance from your doctor before driving.
- Pacemaker Precautions are sternal precautions on the left side of their body.